Diocesan Pastoral Council
Chaplain: Rev. Fr. A.L. Madela
- Judge M. T. Ncube (Chairperson)
- Mr. K. Ntombela (Deputy Chairperson)
- Mr. Heslop (Secretary)
- Dr. F. Heynes (Deputy Secretary)
- Mrs. N. Mthiyane (Treasurer)
- Miss. Z. Phungula (Additional Member)
- Miss. T. Cibane (Additional Member)
Ex Officio Members:
Rev. Fr. T. P. Mbhele (Vicar General)
Rev. Fr. N.B. Mvelase (Chancellor)
29th Annual General Meeting of Mariannhill Diocese Pastoral Council
Bishop of Mariannhill Pius Mlungisi Dlungwane officially opened the 29th AGM to a record of more than 60 delegates by rendering an inspiring Mass. Mr. Ray Cele who is the current Chairperson of DPC welcomed all delegates. He then introduced Bishop Dlungwane for the State of Mariannhill Diocese address. The Bishop touched on several issues affecting the Diocese including AIDS/HIV, Small Christian Communities, Catholic schools in the Diocese, community development, spiritual life, and financial standing of the Diocese.
The sodalities and committees gave reports for all the work carried out during the 2007 – 2008 reporting year. Fr T Mbhele gave an inspiring plenary talk entitled " Who is St Paul?" and delegates were also reminded that Pope Benedict XVI has proclaimed that from the 29th of June 2008 to the 29th of June 2009 be the year dedicated to St Paul. Another equally interesting plenary talk was given by Prof Otty Nxumalo who related the African culture of sharing/giving to the teachings of the Church. To obtain Prof Nxumalo’s Zulu version speech, press here
The Vision and Mission statements, after deliberations, were amended and officially adopted by the delegates in the presence of the Bishop.
Vision – “To be a self-sufficient and self-reliant church, which shall be able to meet all pastoral needs of the people of God and to fully support the work of Evangelization in the Diocese."
Mission – The Diocesan Pastoral Council commits itself to make every constituent member of the Local Church, which is one indivisible Body of Christ, understand and appreciate their role and that of other constituent members by:
- affirming the fact that the Pastoral Council is there to support the clergy and the religious by providing various services which support the apostolic and prophetic work of the church.
- creating a participative church with a view of effective utilization of skills of its members, especially the laity.
The conference adopted the following resolutions:
- We, the DPC, undertake to intensify the awareness fight against human trafficking and drug abuse starting in our Parishes/Missions to the communities at large.
- As a matter of urgency, the DPC undertakes to strengthen the fight against AID/HIV in our Parishes by setting up proper functioning structures (Aids Desk and related structures) by engaging the Diocesan Coordinator
- Strengthening of small Christian communities within Parishes/Missions will lead to addressing the needs of the community – Jail and Hospital visits.
- Encouraging every Catholic in the Diocese to pay R100 or more per year towards Idwala Lokwalusa.
- A constitution and a program for the Diocese Youth should be drawn at a Diocesan level.
- Mariannhill Deanery Imvuselelo should be revived.
- To observe the year commencing from the 29th June 2008 to the 29th June 2009 as the year dedicated to Saint Paul. Hence the reading of the Bible, Family prayers, and other activities related to the Gospel of Saint Paul are of paramount importance.
The AGM agreed on the following recommendations
- Catholic educators should be proud of their religion more especially in the school environment.
- DPC Executive Committee should convene workshops for all Catholic educators in the Diocese of Mariannhill.
The 29th Annual General Meeting was officially closed at 14h00 on the 3rd of May 2008.
(FMM) St Anne's Convent
PO Box 72, Umzinto 4200
Tel: (039) 974 1177
International : +27 39 974 1177
Tel & Fax: (039) 974 1626 (Provincialate)
Int. Tel & Fax: +27 39 974 1626 (Provincialate)
Provincialate of the Missionary Sisters of the Precious Blood
PO Box 10487, Ashwood 3605
Tel: (031) 700 3724, Tel: (031) 700 3735 (Switchboard),
International: +31 700 3724 / +31 700 3735 (via switchboard)
Convent Mariannhill Private Bag X12, Ashwood 3605.
Tel: (031) 700 2411 / 12,
Fax: (031) 700 6444
International : +27 31 700 2411
International fax: +27 31 700 6444
Sacred Heart Home
PO Box 7, Ixopo 3276
Tel: (039) 834 1106
Intenational: +27 39 834 1106
Fax: (039) 834 2758
International fax: +27 39 834 2758
St. Mary’s Hospital
Private Bag X16, Ashwood 3605
Tel: (031) 717 1000
International: +27 31 717 1000
Tel: (031) 717 1051 (Superior)
International: +27 31 717 1051 (Superior)
Tel & Fax: (031) 700 5609
International Tel & Fax: +27 31 700 5609
PO Box 404, Richmond 3780
Tel: 082 430 3611,
International: +27 82 430 3611
School Tel & Fax: (031) 781 1984.
International School Tel & Fax: +27 31 781 1984
Big Fisherman Road
PO Box 528, Anerley 4230.
Tel: (039) 684 6358, (039) 684 5295, (039) 684 5529,
International: +27 39 684 6358 , +27 39 684 5295, +27 39 684 5529
Fax: (039) 684 6244
International fax: +27 39 684 6244
Ursuline Convent and Postulancy
PO Box 25, Park Rynie 4182, KwaZulu-Natal.
Tel: (039) 926 0143
International: +27 39 926 0143